From: Chris Davies <c.davies@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenSSH Security Fix.
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:22:07
1 Hi,
2
3 Yep. Noticed that a few minutes after I sent the e-mail. I must have
4 done my rsync before this package was added.
5 My Bad.
6 Thanks,
7 C.Davies
8 (c.davies@×××××××.org)
9
10 Ferry Meyndert wrote:
11
12 >Its allready fixed in gentoo here is a copy of the anouncement send to the anouncement list.
13 >- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 >GENTOO LINUX SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT
15 >- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 >
17 >PACKAGE :openssh
18 >SUMMARY :vulnerable to a off-by-one error in the channel code
19 >DATE :2002-04-7 18:02:00
20 >
21 >- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
22 >
23 >OVERVIEW
26 > A bug exists in the channel code of OpenSSH versions 2.0 - 3.0.2
27 > Users with an existing user account can abuse this bug to
28 > gain root privileges. Exploitability without an existing
29 > user account has not been proven but is not considered
30 > impossible. A malicious ssh server could also use this bug
31 > to exploit a connecting vulnerable client.
34 >DETAIL
35 >
36 > http://www.pine.nl/advisories/pine-cert-20020301.txt
39 >SOLUTION
42 > It is recommended that all openssh users apply the update
43 >
44 > Portage Auto:
45 >
46 > emerge rsync
47 > emerge update
48 > emerge update --world
51 > Portage by hand:
52 >
53 > emerge rsync
54 > emerge net-misc/openssh
55 >
56 > Manually:
57 >
58 > Download the new openssh package here and follow in file instructions:
59 > ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-3.1p1.tar.gz
60 >
62 >Ferry Meyndert
63 >m0rpheus@g.o
67 >On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:04:55 +0000