From: Ferry Meyndert <m0rpheus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OpenSSH Security Fix.
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:53:54
1 Its allready fixed in gentoo here is a copy of the anouncement send to the anouncement list.
2 - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 GENTOO LINUX SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENT
4 - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
5
6 PACKAGE :openssh
7 SUMMARY :vulnerable to a off-by-one error in the channel code
8 DATE :2002-04-7 18:02:00
9
10 - --------------------------------------------------------------------------
11
12 OVERVIEW
15 A bug exists in the channel code of OpenSSH versions 2.0 - 3.0.2
16 Users with an existing user account can abuse this bug to
17 gain root privileges. Exploitability without an existing
18 user account has not been proven but is not considered
19 impossible. A malicious ssh server could also use this bug
20 to exploit a connecting vulnerable client.
23 DETAIL
24
25 http://www.pine.nl/advisories/pine-cert-20020301.txt
28 SOLUTION
31 It is recommended that all openssh users apply the update
32
33 Portage Auto:
34
35 emerge rsync
36 emerge update
37 emerge update --world
40 Portage by hand:
41
42 emerge rsync
43 emerge net-misc/openssh
44
45 Manually:
46
47 Download the new openssh package here and follow in file instructions:
48 ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/openssh-3.1p1.tar.gz
49
51 Ferry Meyndert
52 m0rpheus@g.o
56 On Thu, 07 Mar 2002 20:04:55 +0000