From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 11:54:24
1 Dnia 25 lipca 2017 11:18:21 CEST, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >El mar, 25-07-2017 a las 08:18 +0200, Hans de Graaff escribió:
3 >> On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 23:22 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
4 >> >
5 >> > I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove
6 >stable.
7 >> >
8 >> > [snip]
9 >> >
10 >> > I consider dev time a precious resource.
11 >>
12 >> If we were to drop stable I would have to start maintaining my own
13 >> stable lists to determine what would be ready to into production for
14 >my
15 >> company. In production "works most of the time" and "good enough"
16 >> simply aren't good enough.
17 >>
18 >> I estimate that would at least equal the amount of time I'm currently
19 >> spending on Gentoo work, and consequently my contributions to Gentoo
20 >> would dwindle to a halt. Most likely I would start looking at other
21 >> solutions altogether.
22 >>
23 >> > More troubleshooting and fixing "hard" problems, less routine work.
24 >>
25 >> Except that some of that routine work is actually what I enjoy doing
26 >in
27 >> Gentoo. I already get plenty of the other two in my day job.
28 >>
29 >> Hans
30 >
31 >If stable goes away I will simply switch to other distribution and
32 >retire
33
34 What's the "over my dead commit access" spirit?
38 Best regards,
39 Michał Górny (by phone)