From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Future of gentoo's stable and unstable trees: what are your thoughts?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 09:18:32
1 El mar, 25-07-2017 a las 08:18 +0200, Hans de Graaff escribió:
2 > On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 23:22 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I hold a perhaps radical view: I would like to simply remove stable.
5 > >
6 > > [snip]
7 > >
8 > > I consider dev time a precious resource.
9 >
10 > If we were to drop stable I would have to start maintaining my own
11 > stable lists to determine what would be ready to into production for my
12 > company. In production "works most of the time" and "good enough"
13 > simply aren't good enough.
14 >
15 > I estimate that would at least equal the amount of time I'm currently
16 > spending on Gentoo work, and consequently my contributions to Gentoo
17 > would dwindle to a halt. Most likely I would start looking at other
18 > solutions altogether.
19 >
20 > > More troubleshooting and fixing "hard" problems, less routine work.
21 >
22 > Except that some of that routine work is actually what I enjoy doing in
23 > Gentoo. I already get plenty of the other two in my day job.
24 >
25 > Hans
26
27 If stable goes away I will simply switch to other distribution and retire