From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 17:03:53
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:46:08 +0100
2 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:38:59 +0100
5 > Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:58:13 +0100
8 > > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > Half a minute if you disable backtracking which you don't need. :)
11 > >
12 > > Which sadly also means that some updates get skipped silently.
13 > > (Those which would trigger rebuilds of other packages because of
14 > > sub-slot deps, had that case yesterday).
15 >
16 > Can you give an example of that?
17 >
18 > Rebuilds don't cause a different solution in the graph afaik; so, I
19 > wouldn't see how that would form a big problem. I also think this
20 > would still be covered by preserved-rebuild and/or revdep-rebuild
21 > afterwards.
22
23 No, the problem wasn't that rebuilds weren't done (btw: this is not
24 about @preserved-rebuilds, but about subslot dependencies), but that
25 updates which would trigger such rebuilds are silently ignored. This
26 happened to me yesterday while trying --backtrack=0. The available
27 update to dev-haskell/parsec simply didn't show up (haskell ebuilds
28 make heavy use of subslot deps), I only noticed this because I knew
29 there was in fact an update available (thanks to eix-diff). Only after
30 enabling backtracking Portage found the update.
31
32 This might well be a bug, perhaps I'll examine the situation when I've
33 got more time.
37 Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
38 GPG fpr: F08D 2AF6 655E 25DE 52BC E53D 08F5 7F90 3029 B5BD