From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: aranea@×××××.de
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [OT] pkgcore bikeshed (was Portage team)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:08:30
1 On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 18:03:31 +0100
2 Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > No, the problem wasn't that rebuilds weren't done (btw: this is not
5 > about @preserved-rebuilds, but about subslot dependencies), but that
6 > updates which would trigger such rebuilds are silently ignored. This
7 > happened to me yesterday while trying --backtrack=0. The available
8 > update to dev-haskell/parsec simply didn't show up (haskell ebuilds
9 > make heavy use of subslot deps), I only noticed this because I knew
10 > there was in fact an update available (thanks to eix-diff). Only after
11 > enabling backtracking Portage found the update.
12 >
13 > This might well be a bug, perhaps I'll examine the situation when I've
14 > got more time.
15
16 That description is broad, it sounds like you didn't pass -uD to emerge;
17 if it is part of the dependency graph (it should, otherwise this
18 discussion would be useless) and is an update (it is, due to eix-diff),
19 then with -uD it would pull that in.
20
21 This even doesn't have to do anything with sub-slot dependencies as far
22 as I know; because why would it check the sub-slot dependencies if it
23 were an upgrade, the upgrade takes precedence over the sub-slot
24 dependencies. The other option is that I am confused about this; as you
25 can see, given the possible scenarios that could happen I might have a
26 different one on mind than you do.
27
28 If backtracking doesn't get to it, it would have to list it as a
29 conflict; if it doesn't do that at the moment, then we certainly have a
30 bug somewhere I think. Thank you in advance for investigating this.
33 With kind regards,
34
35 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
36 Gentoo Developer
37
38 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
39 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
40 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D