From: donnie berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing fdisk with cfdisk in
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:54:39
1 On Tuesday 19 August 2003 20:16, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 August 2003 04:18 pm, foser wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 18:11, Svyatogor wrote:
4 > > > I've been told that both of them are on LiveCD anyway. So the issue is
5 > > > which one do we explain in the Installation Guide. Let's look at it
6 > > > this way. Does cfdisk miss any feature required for installtion? I
7 > > > don't think so. So it would be much nicer to the user to explain him
8 > > > how to use cfdisk - an easy tool. If, however, there is work he wonts
9 > > > to do with fdisk - fair enough noone forbids it.
10 > >
11 > > I don't think that's a good idea, choice is not always good. Explaining
12 > > a lot of different ways to achieve the same thing is cluttering the
13 > > install docs, those are large enough already. Have the fdisk parts of
14 > > the docs not proven by now they are sufficient ?
15 > >
16 > > - foser
17 >
18 > I think the point is, the docs only explain how to do with fdisk what can
19 > also be done with cfdisk and cfdisk is easier to use. Might as well explain
20 > cfdisk and if someone wants to use fdisk, they should already know how
21 > anyway.
22
23 I'm pretty sure it was cfdisk that was documented in the installation guide
24 when I installed Gentoo initially, and for the reasons earlier mentioned re
25 sloppiness etc it was later changed to fdisk. Foser seems to imply it was
26 also fdisk earlier at some point too, so apparently cfdisk was just
27 documented for a short time. I personally would recommend cfdisk in the
28 install guide, and link to a quickie guide of fdisk. My idea is to make the
29 install as easy as possible, and cfdisk is significantly easier to use and
30 more intuitive than fdisk (for me and most people I've talked with about
31 this, at least).
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list