From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing fdisk with cfdisk in
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 08:02:15
1 On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 11:52:17PM -0500, donnie berkholz wrote:
2 > I'm pretty sure it was cfdisk that was documented in the installation guide
3 > when I installed Gentoo initially, and for the reasons earlier mentioned re
4 > sloppiness etc it was later changed to fdisk. Foser seems to imply it was
5 > also fdisk earlier at some point too, so apparently cfdisk was just
6 > documented for a short time. I personally would recommend cfdisk in the
7 > install guide, and link to a quickie guide of fdisk. My idea is to make the
8 > install as easy as possible, and cfdisk is significantly easier to use and
9 > more intuitive than fdisk (for me and most people I've talked with about
10 > this, at least).
11
12 I have issued a new GLEP regarding the installation manual [1] in which there
13 is room to provide the user with information about all possible partitioning
14 ways if we want to. However, even if the GLEP is accepted without clashes
15 it'll still be a while before the Installation Chapter is finished.
16
17 I hope that the GLEP can shut down this discussion and we can mark the bug as
18 "LATER". I'm reluctant in changing the installation guide if there is a
19 chance that we are repeating history (i.e. cfdisk showing up to be
20 troublesome afterall).
21
22 Wkr,
23 Sven Vermeulen
24
25 PS Discussions about this GLEP should be on gentoo-doc, it is purely
26 documentation related, and far from all documentation developers are on -dev.
27 I'll start a thread about this GLEP in a minute.
28
29 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0013.html
30 --
31 Save some animals, eat a vegetarian.