From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: l10n.eclass
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 06:46:43
1 Today I would like to present to you my proposal for a new eclass with
2 helper functions for treating localizations: l10n.eclass (see the
3 attached file or [1]). Its functionality can be used in other eclasses
4 (such as qt4-r2 and cmake-utils) as well as directly in ebuilds.
5
6 In order to keep the code simple, and prevent double loops and extra
7 variables (such as currently used in the media-video/smplayer ebuild),
8 I am proposing that we should add any missing long-form locales to
9 profiles/desc/linguas.desc (e.g. 'de_DE' in addition to short 'de').
10 This also means that users may have to expand their LINGUAS setting in
11 make.conf (e.g. LINGUAS="de en" -> LINGUAS="de de_DE en en_US") to
12 cover the different variants used in packages.
13
14 If you have any comments, spot any mistakes, or have proposals for
15 improvement, I would love to hear it! I would especially love from
16 maintainers of complicated packages such as libreoffice-l10n, if there
17 is any additional functionality that we could include in this eclass
18 to make their job simpler.
19
20 1: https://gitorious.org/gentoo-qt/qt/blobs/master/eclass/l10n.eclass
21 --
22 Cheers,
23
24 Ben | yngwin
25 Gentoo developer
26 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin

l10n.eclass application/octet-stream