From: Ralph Sennhauser <sera@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: l10n.eclass
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:15:55
1 On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:45:39 +0800
2 Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Today I would like to present to you my proposal for a new eclass with
5 > helper functions for treating localizations: l10n.eclass (see the
6 > attached file or [1]). Its functionality can be used in other eclasses
7 > (such as qt4-r2 and cmake-utils) as well as directly in ebuilds.
8 >
9 > In order to keep the code simple, and prevent double loops and extra
10 > variables (such as currently used in the media-video/smplayer ebuild),
11 > I am proposing that we should add any missing long-form locales to
12 > profiles/desc/linguas.desc (e.g. 'de_DE' in addition to short 'de').
13 > This also means that users may have to expand their LINGUAS setting in
14 > make.conf (e.g. LINGUAS="de en" -> LINGUAS="de de_DE en en_US") to
15 > cover the different variants used in packages.
16 >
17 > If you have any comments, spot any mistakes, or have proposals for
18 > improvement, I would love to hear it! I would especially love from
19 > maintainers of complicated packages such as libreoffice-l10n, if there
20 > is any additional functionality that we could include in this eclass
21 > to make their job simpler.
22 >
23 > 1: https://gitorious.org/gentoo-qt/qt/blobs/master/eclass/l10n.eclass
24
25 I assume the P in PLOCALS stands for package. Not that obvious if you
26 ask me. L10N_LOCALS would at least tell me which eclass this variable
27 belongs to.
28
29 Instead of using LINGUAS you should make use of the use function to get
30 your cross sections. ie.
31
32 for locale in ${PLOCALES}; do
33 if use linguas_${locale}; then
34 enabled_locales+=" ${locale}"
35 else
36 disabled_locales+=" ${locale}"
37 fi
38 done
39
40 First, this is guaranteed by PMS and so independent of package manager
41 and second, you do not have to care about locales in LINGUAS which are
42 invalid for the package. Could be that Portage re-exports a sanitized
43 LINGUAS tough, but I doubt it.