From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 47: Creating 'safe' environment variables
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:23:49
1 On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 01:11:00 +0100 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
2 <flameeyes@g.o> wrote:
3 | On Friday 10 February 2006 00:50, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > Provision should be made for future ports that require more than two
5 | > keywords. There's no particular reason to artificially limit this to
6 | > two at this stage.
7 |
8 | There's a reason: simplicity. More than two part keywords simply are
9 | difficult to read, handle and are proving themselves pointless.
10 | We just need to identify an operating system (or a variant of it) not
11 | a whole complex of dependencies.
12
13 Mmm. Do you consider the cost of slightly simplified wording in the
14 GLEP now to be worth extra effort that may be required in the future by
15 some especially whacked out port? I'd prefer to see at least a note in
16 the GLEP stating that three part keywords are legal if they ever become
17 necessary.
18
19 | > Examples of how this lot is to be used in DEPEND= etc would be good
20 | > for clarity.
21 |
22 | Hmm well they are already being used, anyway, the following comes
23 | from rpm2targz:
24
25 Yeah, *I* know how they work. I suspect that many people reading the
26 GLEP, however, are going to go "Huh? Why do we need this lot at all?".
27
28 | > You should clarify the env map behaviour when multiple matches all
29 | > occur (first match, last match or merge?).
30 |
31 | Never thought about that actually, good point. I think last match
32 | would be good.
33
34 Then your example code is wrong :)
37 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
38 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
39 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm