From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EID database and entries getting to baselayout
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:20:57
1 On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 09:32:33PM -0500, in
2 <1075343553.23631.2.camel@localhost>, Donnie Berkholz
3 <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 > It might be a good idea to keep system users to one user per package,
5 > instead of generic things, so everything has just one purpose. For
6 > example, user "heartbeat" instead of "cluster."
7
8 Agreed. Daemons are like users without bodies. They need unique names. I
9 can see undesired consequences of, for example, forcing every server
10 package in net-ftp to run as the user 'ftp'. If you really want to get
11 freaky with the idea though, the usernames assigned to daemons should
12 be locally configurable. Think this one is worthy of a GLEP?
15 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
16 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
17 --Ghost in the Shell