From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 20:15:19
1 On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:51:00PM +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Chris,
3 >
4 > On 10/31/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
5 > >On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 17:02 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
6 > >> 3) ??
7 > >
8 > >Get your hands on some of the minority arch hardware and help out?
9 >
10 > It's a good idea. It's not an option for me, but hopefully others
11 > will follow your advice.
12 >
13 > Personally, I like the idea of package maintainers updating old
14 > ebuilds with a prominent warning that the package is known to have
15 > security holes, and then leaving it to the user to decide whether or
16 > not to use the package. A suitable elog message (pointing the user at
17 > the security bugs in question, and warning them that the package is
18 > now unsupported as a result) in pkg_setup would do the trick.
19
20 Rather see the keywords and masking status stripped down to just the
21 arches that need that version.
22
23 If folks need insecure ebuilds, cvs exists; trying to stick notices in
24 is just an attempt to address a symptom, rather then the cause.
25
26 That and notices are pretty damn easy to miss ;)
27 ~harring