From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:54:01
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 On 10/31/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Tue, 2006-10-31 at 17:02 +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
5 > > 3) ??
6 >
7 > Get your hands on some of the minority arch hardware and help out?
8
9 It's a good idea. It's not an option for me, but hopefully others
10 will follow your advice.
11
12 Personally, I like the idea of package maintainers updating old
13 ebuilds with a prominent warning that the package is known to have
14 security holes, and then leaving it to the user to decide whether or
15 not to use the package. A suitable elog message (pointing the user at
16 the security bugs in question, and warning them that the package is
17 now unsupported as a result) in pkg_setup would do the trick.
18
19 If there's any interest in this solution, it'd wouldn't take very long
20 to add a suitable function to the eutils eclass, so that we can
21 standardise the behaviour.
22
23 Of course, it'd be even better if Portage itself could support this,
24 so that the warning could occur without manual intervention. But in
25 the meantime, adding a simple 'einsecure' function would be
26 sufficient.
27
28 Any interest?
29