From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintaining production systems - and losing ebuilds
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:06:42
1 begin quote
2 On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:48:26 +0000
3 Matt Wilson <matt@×××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > Fair enough, that makes sense, though I suspect that most
8 > companies/organisations that would use *any* tree would want to keep
9 > up with security releases - making the "release" tree unused - unless
10 > the proposal was that anything that may need essential (e.g. security)
11 > patches went in a separate tree (sorry if this is the case, I missed
12 > the start of this discussion).
15 Actually, thats not the case. In the case of a company in this scale, or
16 doing this sort of work, they will simply -not consider- Gentoo as it
17 doesn't meet the base prerequesit. That goes for Debian as well, which
18 also have the "move updates into main tree" mentality that makes
19 maintainance a hell.
20
21 Do take the time to read the other posts on this issue though, if you
22 don't have them locally, google for "gentoo-dev archives" should help.
23
24 //Spider
28 begin .signature
29 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
31 end