From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] RFC - Keywording scheme
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 01:02:09
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 11:19:24AM +1200, Christopher Sawtell wrote:
2 > > Yeah, ulimit won't do it. We hit this issue with mimedefang, actually.
3 > > Our problem is that the kernel is doing the limiting. We ended up
4 > > having to split things up a good bit into multiple processes to get
5 > > everything working. We also added another machine to the cluster to try
6 > > to reduce the load on any one server at a time. Nothing we did with
7 > > ulimit made a bit of difference.
8 > http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-increase-the-maximum-number-of-open-files/
9
10 # sysctl fs.file-max
11 fs.file-max = 206524
12
13 And tracking fs.file-nr indicates that the total number of files open in
14 the entire system barely exceeds 2000 when the lists are flying.
17 Robin Hugh Johnson
18 Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
19 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
20 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85