From: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: security updates only? (security-1.0.ebuild)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:38:18
1 On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 19:11:36 +0200
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Saturday 16 August 2003 17:59, Karsten Schulz wrote:
5 > > *After* rsyncing, but *before* building the cache, emerge should
6 > > create a statical version of
7 > > app-admin/security/security-VERSION.ebuild with the dependencies
8 > > corresponding to the current system and the correct version. After
9 > > creating this ebuild, the cache could be build and an emerge -p
10 > > security will show the needed updates. That seems to me a few lines
11 > > of python code and an introduction of the new GLSA file.
12 > >
13 > > How is that?
14 >
15 > Why not just having a utility (or integrate it into emerge) that scans
16 > all installed packages, compares them with the list and tries to
17 > update those that are with an ebuild in the same slot. If there is no
18 > such ebuild it issues a warning.
19
20 I don't know how many people actually tested my stuff
21 (http://gentoo.devel-net.org/glsa/ in case you haven't seen it) so I'll
22 explain how it works:
23
24 glsa-check is a tool to read a directory (could also be on a remote
25 server) of GLSA files in XML format and can do the following actions on
26 it:- print a list of all unchecked GLSAs, using a checkfile that is
27 updated on other actions
28 - test if the current system is affected by a GLSA
29 - print a plaintext version of a GLSA (similar to the current plaintext
30 format)
31 - tell the user all necessary steps to apply a GLSA to the system
32 - apply a GLSA automatically (not implemented yet, I just need to find
33 the best way to do it) and add it to the checkfile
34 - "inject" the GLSA into the checkfile in case the testing was wrong or
35 the user fixed it manually
36
37 The glsa-check.py is just a frontend for most parts, the real work is
38 done in the glsa.py class, integration in portage at a later stage
39 should be rather easy. I'll check with carpaski once we get to this.
40
41 If someone doesn't understand why I chose XML over the current plaintext
42 format, the reasons are
43 - it's IMO easier to parse in python, no custom parser needed
44 - allows some enhancements as specifying multiple affected/fixed
45 versions or implement multi-language support (not in the current DTD)
46 - converting to other formats (e.g. html for online viewing) is easy
47 with XSL
48
49 So, what is needed to get this working?
50 - put the GLSA in a standard location for automated retrieval, I suggest
51 both in the rsync tree and somewhere on www.gentoo.org
52 - convert all GLSA into XML format, this could be done by the authors or
53 a converter script
54 - some code additions, nothing major
55 - a lot of testing :)
58 Ok, so far the information on the current state, I'm open to any
59 questions/suggestions/comments. The code is only a prototype, easy to
60 change at the moment. I already discussed this with people on -security
61 and -server, so far people seem to like this, but I need the views of
62 some devs now.
63
64 Marius
67 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list