From: Karsten Schulz <kaschu@×××××××××.de>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: security updates only? (security-1.0.ebuild)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:30:01
1 Am Samstag, 16. August 2003 21:38 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > I don't know how many people actually tested my stuff
3 > (http://gentoo.devel-net.org/glsa/ in case you haven't seen it) so I'll
4 > explain how it works:
5
6 I did :-)
7
8 > So, what is needed to get this working?
9 > - put the GLSA in a standard location for automated retrieval, I suggest
10 > both in the rsync tree and somewhere on www.gentoo.org
11 > - convert all GLSA into XML format, this could be done by the authors or
12 > a converter script
13 > - some code additions, nothing major
14 > - a lot of testing :)
15
16 I would like to discuss some aspects of your software. I like it, and I think,
17 it could make admin's life easier.
18
19 First, for what reason do you maintain /var/cache/edb/glsa? You could ask
20 portage to see, wether a special version of a package is installed in the
21 system or is not. To store applied GLSAs in this file seems redundant to me,
22 isn't it?
23
24 Second, the 'glsa-' prefix of the GLSA filenames seems unnecessary to me. The
25 GLSA information is stored in the directory /usr/portage/glsa/. Why not name
26 the file with its unique GLSA identifier (200307-07 or perhaps
27 200307-07.xml), shouldn't that be enough?
28
29 In your 'readme' file you wrote, that there is no installation needed.
30 Nevertheless I would provide a little install-script, which checks the
31 presence of the needed files and directories (/etc/portage/,
32 /usr/portage/glsa/ and /var/cache/edb/glsa). Without this dirs and the file,
33 glsa.py fails.
34
35 Please feel free to contact me for further testing!
36
37 have fun!
38 Karsten
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list