From: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: security updates only? (security-1.0.ebuild)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:17:14
1 On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 12:29:59 +0200
2 Karsten Schulz <kaschu@×××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Am Samstag, 16. August 2003 21:38 Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > So, what is needed to get this working?
6 > > - put the GLSA in a standard location for automated retrieval, I
7 > > suggest both in the rsync tree and somewhere on www.gentoo.org
8 > > - convert all GLSA into XML format, this could be done by the
9 > > authors or a converter script
10 > > - some code additions, nothing major
11 > > - a lot of testing :)
12 >
13 > I would like to discuss some aspects of your software. I like it, and
14 > I think, it could make admin's life easier.
15
16 I'm currently writing a GLEP to adress the problem, so far the feedback
17 on my stuff has been very positive so I'm optimistic that it will be
18 accepted.
19
20 > First, for what reason do you maintain /var/cache/edb/glsa? You could
21 > ask portage to see, wether a special version of a package is installed
22 > in the system or is not. To store applied GLSAs in this file seems
23 > redundant to me, isn't it?
24
25 Sometimes you might want to solve an issue in another way than
26 recommended or the test result could be wrong or you don't want to fix
27 the issue or ...
28
29 > Second, the 'glsa-' prefix of the GLSA filenames seems unnecessary to
30 > me. The GLSA information is stored in the directory
31 > /usr/portage/glsa/. Why not name the file with its unique GLSA
32 > identifier (200307-07 or perhaps 200307-07.xml), shouldn't that be
33 > enough?
34
35 That's open for discussion. FYI, the glsa- prefix can be
36 changed/disabled in /etc/portage/glsa.conf.
37
38 > In your 'readme' file you wrote, that there is no installation needed.
39 > Nevertheless I would provide a little install-script, which checks the
40 > presence of the needed files and directories (/etc/portage/,
41 > /usr/portage/glsa/ and /var/cache/edb/glsa). Without this dirs and
42 > the file, glsa.py fails.
43
44 Right now the tool is nearly useless as there are no XMLified GLSAs
45 available. It's only a prototype. Once the GLEP is accepted
46 I'll write an ebuild for it or ask carpaski to add it to the portage
47 package.
48
49 Marius
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list