From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:10:39
1 On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 12:49 AM, Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Hanno Böck <hanno@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 21:08:40 +0200
7 >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> > manifest-hashes = SHA512 SHA3_512
10 >>
11 >> Counterproposal: Just use SHA512.
12 >>
13 >> There isn't any evidence that any SHA2-based hash algorithm is going to
14 >> be broken any time soon. If that changes there will very likely be
15 >> decades of warning before a break becomes practical.
16 >>
17 >> Having just one hash is simpler and using a well supported one like
18 >> SHA512 may make things easier than using something that's still not
19 >> very widely supported.
22 > Yet having more than one lets you match make sure nobody hijacked your
23 > manifest file when an attack vector is inevitably discovered for the old
24 > new algorithm (whether SHA2, SHA3, or BLAKE2), because you'll be able to
25 > confirm the file is the same one that matched the old checksum in addition
26 > to the new one.
29 As Hanno was saying, we'll have decades of warning before a break becomes
30 practical, so I don't think this is a real concern.
31
32 I think the problem of having this discussion on gentoo-dev this way is
33 that people with vastly different levels of security/crypto expertise are
34 discussing different options without much regard for the level of expertise
35 (and maybe even unaware of others' relevant expertise).
36
37 I support Hanno's suggestion of doing just SHA512, but would be interested
38 in hearing opinions from others who have apparent security/crypto
39 experience. Maybe the Security project can weigh the suggestions as well?
40
41 Cheers,
42
43 Dirkjan