From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:23:17
1 >>>>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2
3 > As Hanno was saying, we'll have decades of warning before a break
4 > becomes practical, so I don't think this is a real concern.
5
6 How can we be sure of that? I guess the same reasoning was applied
7 when MD5 and SHA1 hashes were used.
8
9 > I think the problem of having this discussion on gentoo-dev this way
10 > is that people with vastly different levels of security/crypto
11 > expertise are discussing different options without much regard for
12 > the level of expertise (and maybe even unaware of others' relevant
13 > expertise).
14
15 > I support Hanno's suggestion of doing just SHA512, but would be
16 > interested in hearing opinions from others who have apparent
17 > security/crypto experience. Maybe the Security project can weigh the
18 > suggestions as well?
19
20 Don't put all eggs in one basket. Having at least one additional hash
21 (and from a different family) doesn't cost us much and provides an
22 upgrade path when it should become necessary.
23
24 Ulrich