From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 12:55:55
1 On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 11:23:06 +0200
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Fri, 20 Oct 2017, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
5 >
6 > > As Hanno was saying, we'll have decades of warning before a break
7 > > becomes practical, so I don't think this is a real concern.
8 >
9 > How can we be sure of that? I guess the same reasoning was applied
10 > when MD5 and SHA1 hashes were used.
11
12 MD5 warning 1996:
13 ftp://ftp.iks-jena.de/mitarb/lutz/crypt/hash/dobbertin.ps
14
15 MD5 broken 2005:
16 http://merlot.usc.edu/csac-f06/papers/Wang05a.pdf
17
18 SHA1 warning 2005:
19 https://people.csail.mit.edu/yiqun/SHA1AttackProceedingVersion.pdf
20
21 SHA1 broken 2017:
22 https://shattered.io/
25 It's reasonable to assume that modern hash functions will have a far
26 longer warning period. For two reasons:
27 * their safety margin is much higher to begin with, particularly if
28 you choose something like SHA512 (256 bit collission resistance). It
29 was more or less always clear that MD5 (64 bit) and SHA1 (80 bit) are
30 in risky terrain even without any cryptographic breakthrough.
31 * hash function research in 2017 is lightyears ahead of hash function
32 research in the 90s and early 2000s. One major outcome of the
33 research after the big hash breakdown in 2005 was that SHA-2 is much
34 safer than people previously thought.
37 I don' have a very strong opinion on this. Having two hash functions
38 probably won't harm. Though I tend to prefer the simplest solutions if
39 it's secure. And all my cryptographic knowledge tells me that "What if
40 sha512 is broken?" isn't a realistic problem to be concerned about.
43 I do feel it's a bit ironic that we have these lengthy discussions
44 about hash functions while at the same time they provide little
45 security to begin with, because they aren't transmitted over a secure
46 channel and not signed...
49 Hanno Böck
50 https://hboeck.de/
51
52 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
53 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42