From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] icedtea requiring X libs to build was -> Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 23:07:42
1 On Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:18:43 PM EST Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2017 12:06 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > >> But more importantly, icedtea-bin was just one example that I had in
4 > >> mind. There are hundreds of others in the tree.
5 > >
6 > > Sure, but some packages themselves go against a minimalist approach due to
7 > > their own build requirements. You have to fight the package to make them
8 > > minimal and I am not sure the fight is worth it at times.
9 >
10 > We agree on that. If making GTK optional for your package is too much
11 > trouble, then don't make it optional.
12
13 Yes but that is part of the idea. Or I should say benefit of building Java from
14 source. You could choose to make stuff optional that is not optional normally.
15 But it is not trivial, and likely run into issues.
16
17 IMHO likely most if not all of the USE flags for any Java JDK/JRE should not
18 exist. They are just reducing deps, with the idea that your not using code
19 that needs that stuff. If you do, it will cause issues because you do not have
20 those needed deps installed.
21
22 Really no way to please everyone. Either someone will want USE flags to reduce
23 deps. Which could cause issues in the package. Which in turn have the USE flags
24 enabled by default. Which upset others. There is no win for anyone.
25
26 > The problem is only when the
27 > maintainer does make it optional, and then defaults it on in every
28 > profile using IUSE defaults. Most "give the user a typical system" USE
29 > defaults belong in a desktop or server profile, not in the base.
30
31 Yes that is another matter. However somethings like Java cross over from
32 server to desktop. It really just comes from trying to make it to modular. If
33 there was no GTK/X/whatever USE flag, then it would not be an issue. But would
34 still be bringing in the unwanted stuff into a server.
37 William L. Thomson Jr.