From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] icedtea requiring X libs to build was -> Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:18:56
1 On 02/02/2017 12:06 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 >
3 >> But more importantly, icedtea-bin was just one example that I had in
4 >> mind. There are hundreds of others in the tree.
5 >
6 > Sure, but some packages themselves go against a minimalist approach due to
7 > their own build requirements. You have to fight the package to make them
8 > minimal and I am not sure the fight is worth it at times.
11 We agree on that. If making GTK optional for your package is too much
12 trouble, then don't make it optional. The problem is only when the
13 maintainer does make it optional, and then defaults it on in every
14 profile using IUSE defaults. Most "give the user a typical system" USE
15 defaults belong in a desktop or server profile, not in the base.