From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] icedtea requiring X libs to build was -> Guidelines for IUSE defaults
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:06:48
1 On Thursday, February 2, 2017 11:27:20 AM EST Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2017 11:18 AM, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > If you look at dev-java/icedtea ebuild you will see
4 > >
5 > > # Gtk+ will move to COMMON_DEP in time; PR1982
6 > >
7 > > I cannot find PR1982 referenced to link. But shows that it is needed and
8 > > causes issues without being set.
9 >
10 > I don't really want to fight about this. I have USE="-gtk" for
11 > icedtea-bin, and run a few happy websites through Tomcat that haven't
12 > yet noticed that GTK is missing.
13
14 Who is fighting? I am just explaining. Unless you go to use some graphical
15 aspect of Java it will not matter. Same thing applies to oracle-jdk-bin if you
16 do not have various USE flags set. It will not matter if you are not using Java
17 code that relies on such. Nothing from java.awt.* for example. Previous link
18 on headless shows stuff your likely not using, thus no issues.
19
20 GTK is not really necessary unless using swing/javafx, maybe some awt. The
21 graphical aspects do not rely on GTK at its core. They do rely on various X
22 libraries. When it comes to building that is another matter. GTK is needed to
23 build a complete Java env. Just showing the comment since it was attempted to
24 make GTK optional USE flag but has issues. I just cannot point specifically to
25 the issues. Thus you can build and run without GTK, but eventually that will
26 not be an option for reasons unknown in the PR comment.
27
28 > But more importantly, icedtea-bin was just one example that I had in
29 > mind. There are hundreds of others in the tree.
30
31 Sure, but some packages themselves go against a minimalist approach due to
32 their own build requirements. You have to fight the package to make them
33 minimal and I am not sure the fight is worth it at times.
36 William L. Thomson Jr.