From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 10:44:51
1 2009/5/15 Marijn Schouten (hkBst) <hkBst@g.o>:
2 >
3 > Thilo Bangert wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Fedora is a much more current distribution than Gentoo - and has been for
6 >> a couple of years...
7 >
8 > Please elaborate what exactly you think Fedora does better than we do. I have no
9 > first-hand experience with Fedora, but from what I read I had the impression
10 > that sometimes they go with new stuff before it is ready, like KDE4 and pulseaudio.
11 > I like about the current situation that we also have all those things available
12 > AFAICS, but have very broad choices in how much we want to bleed.
13 > IMO this is a different issue than having supposedly popular ebuilds not in main
14 > tree.
17 AFAIK Fedora (formerly Red Hat Linux) is the playground for Red Hat
18 Enterprise Linux like Opensuse is for Suse Linux Enterprise. So it
19 makes more sense to compare it with the Gentoo unstable tree instead
20 of the stable one. Assuming this there is probably not a big
21 difference in the up-to-dateness.
24 Daniel Pielmeier