From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GNU userland and binary package (WAS: RFC: sh versionator.eclass)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:04:49
1 On 10/8/07, Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 21:26 -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > > > Fabian has summed it up nicely, thanks. i could care less what your userland
5 > > > is outside of the ebuild environment since it doesnt matter to ebuild
6 > > > writers. you want a deficient runtime environment, more power to you, but
7 > > > forcing that environment onto ebuild developers is not acceptable. off the
8 > > > top of my head, i'd like to see GNU find/xargs added to the ebuild
9 > > > environment.
10 > > > -mike
11 > >
12 > > Mike, exactly as I said. That's option #2, and I think it could be a
13 > > great solution. As for deficient, well, that's in the eye of the
14 > > beholder. ;)
15 > >
16 > > -Joe
17 >
18 > Question, if you go for #2. Does that mean you will need all the
19 > required GNU userland to do binary only installs?
20 >
21 > It would be highly desireable to be able to do binary installs (write
22 > your own binary only package manager) without depending on all the GNU
23 > stuff needed to compile the packages.
24
25 Your own binary only package manager would still need to provide
26 Option #2; ie you need to have GNU tools installed to process the
27 binary packages. pkg_* functions could still have GNU stuff in them
28 and those still get run during a binary package install.
29
30 -Alec
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list