From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GNU userland and binary package (WAS: RFC: sh versionator.eclass)
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 09:04:21
1 On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 21:26 -0600, Joe Peterson wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > Fabian has summed it up nicely, thanks. i could care less what your userland
4 > > is outside of the ebuild environment since it doesnt matter to ebuild
5 > > writers. you want a deficient runtime environment, more power to you, but
6 > > forcing that environment onto ebuild developers is not acceptable. off the
7 > > top of my head, i'd like to see GNU find/xargs added to the ebuild
8 > > environment.
9 > > -mike
10 >
11 > Mike, exactly as I said. That's option #2, and I think it could be a
12 > great solution. As for deficient, well, that's in the eye of the
13 > beholder. ;)
14 >
15 > -Joe
16
17 Question, if you go for #2. Does that mean you will need all the
18 required GNU userland to do binary only installs?
19
20 It would be highly desireable to be able to do binary installs (write
21 your own binary only package manager) without depending on all the GNU
22 stuff needed to compile the packages.
23
24 -nc
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list