From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp", v2
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 11:59:31
1 On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 11:19 AM, Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 > Sounds like a reasonable action plan. The consequences of such a change
3 > definitely seems to be sufficiently high to merit a proper migration
4 > plan which doesn't seem to have been established at this point. Whether
5 > that can be added to a later point with gcc6 (e.g by adding a new
6 > profile, or a later point release) I don't have strong opinions on, but
7 > there should be a plan and proper overview of the consequences.
8
9 Yeah, I think I agree. From the discussions so far, I think that we
10 should definitely aim for making pie the default for everyone (on
11 arches where it makes sense), but doing it in the gcc-6 now which has
12 seen only a short period of testing so far seems a bit hasty based on
13 data from the messages that I've seen in these threads so far.
14
15 Cheers,
16
17 Dirkjan