From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp", v2
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 09:20:07
1 On 05/10/2017 09:52 AM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
2 > On Tue, 09 May 2017 18:58:42 -0500
3 > Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> This is a reworded news item (assuming we proceed with the plan to
6 >> default-enable USE=pie). Suggestions for improving the emerge command
7 >> to fix static archives is highly welcomed.
10 > Really, I think the slot to have pie for gcc 6 has been missed by
11 > default-enabling it only recently. We should aim for gcc 7 at least and
12 > have proper testing.
13 >
14 > And add a few safety nets: A portage warning when installing non-pie
15 > binaries, something that dies with FEATURES=strict or stricter, like
16 > the textrel one we have. That is to avoid the quick n dirty
17 > 'append-ldflags -no-pie' that makes the whole thing about forcing pie
18 > questionable. If possible, detect static archives that have relocations
19 > too.
20 >
21 > Ideally provide a system scanning tool for the above too.
24 > After a few months of masked gcc7 like that we'll have enough data to
25 > decide on a proper plan. It'll probably be good to get QA in the loop
26 > and make this a QA goal too.
29 Sounds like a reasonable action plan. The consequences of such a change
30 definitely seems to be sufficiently high to merit a proper migration
31 plan which doesn't seem to have been established at this point. Whether
32 that can be added to a later point with gcc6 (e.g by adding a new
33 profile, or a later point release) I don't have strong opinions on, but
34 there should be a plan and proper overview of the consequences.
37 Kristian Fiskerstrand
38 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
39 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3