From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] shouldn't eselect be in app-eselect ?
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 23:41:45
1 >>>>> On Sat, 4 Apr 2015, Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 > 150404 Alex Brandt wrote:
4 >> On Saturday, April 04, 2015 14:41:37 Philip Webb wrote:
5 >>> I read the recent thread re the new app-eselect.
6 >>> Doing my weekly system update,
7 >>> it strikes me that 'eselect' itself sb there too.
8 >>> Time to paint the bikesheds again ... (smile)
9 >> I don't disagree but will simply point out that if this becomes
10 >> true, we should also move dev-lang/python to dev-python,
11 >> dev-lang/ruby to dev-ruby & dev-lang/perl to dev-perl (not
12 >> exhaustive).
13
14 > No (and to the other objectors' lists):
15 > there are many computer languages, but there is only 1 'eselect'.
16 > The eselect set-up is unique within Gentoo,
17 > which makes it natural to put it all under 1 category.
18
19 eselect is an administration tool, therefore it goes into the
20 app-admin category, together with other administration tools.
21
22 That the main application goes into a generic category is a pattern
23 that we have used for many years. Other examples, apart from
24 programming languages, include app-editors/emacs vs app-emacs/*,
25 app-editors/vim vs app-vim/*, and app-text/texlive vs dev-texlive/*.
26
27 That said, this discussion is rather pointless now. The package move
28 was done in the way it was announced [1], and I'm not going to touch
29 all packages another time to update their dependency on eselect.
30
31 Ulrich
34 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/fff06b1f1b36e96d5e3ba134b2101de5