From: David Leverton <u01drl3@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: eselect module for choosing between gnash and netscape-flash
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 15:22:21
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Kinda makes you think they shouldn't be specific to types of plugin,
3 > doesn't it? There could be an eselect browser-plugin module that can
4 > select various types of browser plugins. Not sure how a 4th level would
5 > fit in with eselect as far as usability etc goes, though.
6 >
7 > Thanks,
8 > Donnie
9
10 Yeah, the module I posted could be adapted to do that with not too much
11 effort. The problem is, though, that it works on the level of whole
12 plugins, rather than MIME types: if you have, say, one plugin that
13 handles OGG and MP3, and one that handles WMA and MP3, there's no
14 reliable way that I know of to choose how to handle MP3, without losing
15 either OGG or MP3. That might be acceptable: have a "multimedia"
16 category of plugins, and let the user choose the one that handles the
17 types that he/she needs, but I'm starting to think that this really
18 belongs in the browsers themselves.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list