From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Integrating Portage with other package managers
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 16:44:26
1 On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 3:06 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 3:55 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Because containers are awesome and are way easier to use.
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> I think you missed my point: Why are they easier to use?
11 > I suspect that he was equating "containers" with "Docker," which both
12 > runs containers and also is an image management solution (one that I
13 > don't particularly like, but probably because I don't have heavy needs
14 > so I find myself fighting it more than anything else - it doesn't hurt
15 > that for the life of me I can't get it to connect containers to my
16 > bridge, and it seems like it is completely opposed to just using DHCP
17 > to obtain IPs).
18 >
19 > But, if you're using Docker, sure, you can run whatever the command is
20 > to download an image of a container with some software pre-installed
21 > and run it.
22 >
23 > If you're using something other than Docker to manage your containers
24 > then you still have to get the software you want to use installed in
25 > your container image.
28 I think I was equating containers to Docker as well. My point was
29 instead of trying to manage dependencies, containers allow people to
30 shove everything into an empty root with no conflicts. The
31 enthusiastic blog post seems to restate this.