From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Integrating Portage with other package managers
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 21:06:11
1 On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 3:55 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 1:15 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Because containers are awesome and are way easier to use.
7 > I think you missed my point: Why are they easier to use?
10 I suspect that he was equating "containers" with "Docker," which both
11 runs containers and also is an image management solution (one that I
12 don't particularly like, but probably because I don't have heavy needs
13 so I find myself fighting it more than anything else - it doesn't hurt
14 that for the life of me I can't get it to connect containers to my
15 bridge, and it seems like it is completely opposed to just using DHCP
16 to obtain IPs).
17
18 But, if you're using Docker, sure, you can run whatever the command is
19 to download an image of a container with some software pre-installed
20 and run it.
21
22 If you're using something other than Docker to manage your containers
23 then you still have to get the software you want to use installed in
24 your container image.
27 Rich