From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sci-libs/scipy -> dev-python/scipy ?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 04:14:27
1 On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
2 > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 >> I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
4 >> categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
5 >> in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
6 >> moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.
7 >
8 > Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
9 > it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
10 > the category idea from fbsd ports.
11
12 It is pointless because we should probably have tags; not categories.
13 It is akin to the Section[1] header in a debian control file.
14
15 [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-subsections
18 > Since we have categories (and assuming we'll keep them), I think that
19 > things should be categorized as correctly as possible (perhaps it's not
20 > the highest priority, but better to have it right than not, eventually).
21
22 Have you moved a package between categories before?
23
24 It is not simple to do correctly which is why no one likes to do them
25 unless they
26 are 'necessary'.
27
28 'epkgmove' invokes bad memories for many ;)
31 > If it is better to have scipy in sci-libs rather dev-python, then
32 > perhaps other dev-python packages (like you said) should be moved
33 > elsewhere to be consistent. A quick look at the fbsd ports shows that
34 > scipy is in "science" and numpy is in "math" (for example), so that
35 > agrees with your feeling that neither belong in dev-python.
36 >
37 > -Joe
38 > --
39 > gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list