From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sci-libs/scipy -> dev-python/scipy ?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 03:51:36
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > I actually object to having crap in dev-python, because things should be
3 > categorized functionally instead of by the language they're implemented
4 > in. 90% of the time you don't care about the language. But category
5 > moves are pretty much pointless, so I don't normally bring it up.
6
7 Do you mean it is pointless because categories are pointless, or because
8 it is not worth the trouble of doing the move? I assume we inherited
9 the category idea from fbsd ports.
10
11 Since we have categories (and assuming we'll keep them), I think that
12 things should be categorized as correctly as possible (perhaps it's not
13 the highest priority, but better to have it right than not, eventually).
14
15 If it is better to have scipy in sci-libs rather dev-python, then
16 perhaps other dev-python packages (like you said) should be moved
17 elsewhere to be consistent. A quick look at the fbsd ports shows that
18 scipy is in "science" and numpy is in "math" (for example), so that
19 agrees with your feeling that neither belong in dev-python.
20
21 -Joe
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list