From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Portage rsync hardlink support
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 13:57:11
1 W dniu nie, 08.07.2018 o godzinie 15∶02 +0200, użytkownik Kristian
2 Fiskerstrand napisał:
3 > On 07/08/2018 08:53 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > Is safe git syncing implemented already? If not, maybe finish it first and cover both with a single news item. Git is going to be more efficient here, so people may want to learn they have an alternative.
5 >
6 > Why complicate things, and increase wait for something that benefits
7 > most users, just to give alternatives to a few using non-default sync
8 > mechanism. Securing git distribution is a whole different ballpark.
11 Let me rephrase. Let's say I'm using rsync. This new feature is
12 something positive but it breaks my use case (for one of the listed
13 reasons -- overlayfs, inode use, small fs cache). After reading this
14 news item, I learn that my only option is to disable the new feature.
15
16 Now, I would appreciate being told that there's an alternate sync method
17 that handles secure updates without having all those drawbacks.
20 Best regards,
21 Michał Górny