From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] News Item: Portage rsync hardlink support
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2018 18:05:11
1 On 07/08/2018 06:56 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > W dniu nie, 08.07.2018 o godzinie 15∶02 +0200, użytkownik Kristian
3 > Fiskerstrand napisał:
4 >> On 07/08/2018 08:53 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>> Is safe git syncing implemented already? If not, maybe finish it first and cover both with a single news item. Git is going to be more efficient here, so people may want to learn they have an alternative.
6 >>
7 >> Why complicate things, and increase wait for something that benefits
8 >> most users, just to give alternatives to a few using non-default sync
9 >> mechanism. Securing git distribution is a whole different ballpark.
12 > Let me rephrase. Let's say I'm using rsync. This new feature is
13 > something positive but it breaks my use case (for one of the listed
14 > reasons -- overlayfs, inode use, small fs cache). After reading this
15 > news item, I learn that my only option is to disable the new feature.
16 >
17 > Now, I would appreciate being told that there's an alternate sync method
18 > that handles secure updates without having all those drawbacks.
19
20 The thing is, the normal git tree doesn't even provide pre-generated
21 metadata, and I see then gentoo-mirror repo that provides metadata does
22 not have commits signed with an release key:
23
24 https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/commits/stable
25
26 So I'm really not comfortable recommending git to anyone at this point.
27 --
28 Thanks,
29 Zac