From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Disturbing state of arch testing in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 13:26:26
1 On Mon, 2022-11-07 at 19:23 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 6:16 PM Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > > On 7 Nov 2022, at 06:07, Oskari Pirhonen <xxc3ncoredxx@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 11:37:24 +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
7 > > > > I would be in favour of stepping up the social contract and actually
8 > > > > prohibiting this kind of things, we had that before too, the nattka you
9 > > > > mgorny wrote is replacement for old bugzilla bot that was ...
10 > > > > closedsource and perished, though nattka now have way more features than
11 > > > > the old thing ever had.
12 > > >
13 > > > As a user, I think it would be really cool if there was a requirement
14 > > > that all infra and infra-adjacent stuff was free software.
15 > > >
16 > > > I feel like I've read that Debian already has something like this. While
17 > > > doing some quick searches I didn't find a full-on requirement, but all
18 > > > their infra bits I did find were powered by free software. The most
19 > > > relevant ones being buildd [1] and debci [2]. Additionally, the debci
20 > > > docs has inctructions on reproducing tests yourself [3] which is a nice
21 > > > extra IMO.
22 > >
23 > > Gentoo has https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html.
24 >
25 > [...]
26 >
27 > I think the key is something that was brought up earlier in the
28 > thread: is this causing problems?
29
30 We're talking about handling arch testing and not tinderboxing
31 in general but yes, this is causing problems.
32
33 If someone's running automation that takes care of a significant portion
34 of arch testing, it effectively leads to monopolized arch testing.
35 Other arch testers don't need to do anything, so they eventually stop
36 paying attention and everyone assumes "X will take care of it anyway".
37
38 Now, the first problem is the bus factor. If X stops doing arch
39 testing, requests pile up. It takes time before others resume their
40 work. If the software used to do the automation was proprietary, others
41 have to start over. Of course, this is better now that we have
42 an alternative.
43
44 The second problem is that we don't really know *how* things are
45 processed. As I've said, it happened to me before that stablereqs were
46 ignored for months. My guess is that the automation couldn't figure out
47 how to process them, so it skipped them, silently. I still don't know
48 what was the problem, or how to avoid it in the future. If the code was
49 public, I could try figuring it out and perhaps even fixing it.
52 Best regards,
53 Michał Górny