From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Disturbing state of arch testing in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2022 00:23:48
1 On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 6:16 PM Sam James <sam@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > > On 7 Nov 2022, at 06:07, Oskari Pirhonen <xxc3ncoredxx@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > On Sun, Nov 06, 2022 at 11:37:24 +0100, Piotr Karbowski wrote:
6 > >> I would be in favour of stepping up the social contract and actually
7 > >> prohibiting this kind of things, we had that before too, the nattka you
8 > >> mgorny wrote is replacement for old bugzilla bot that was ...
9 > >> closedsource and perished, though nattka now have way more features than
10 > >> the old thing ever had.
11 > >
12 > > As a user, I think it would be really cool if there was a requirement
13 > > that all infra and infra-adjacent stuff was free software.
14 > >
15 > > I feel like I've read that Debian already has something like this. While
16 > > doing some quick searches I didn't find a full-on requirement, but all
17 > > their infra bits I did find were powered by free software. The most
18 > > relevant ones being buildd [1] and debci [2]. Additionally, the debci
19 > > docs has inctructions on reproducing tests yourself [3] which is a nice
20 > > extra IMO.
21 >
22 > Gentoo has https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html.
23
24 I feel like something like a dev-run tinderbox is a bit out of the
25 scope of that.
26
27 Suppose I file a bug against a package, pointing out some issue in it.
28 How do you know I didn't use some proprietary static code analysis
29 tool to discover that error? Does it even really matter? The bug
30 speaks for itself. It is like worrying about whether somebody who
31 filed a bug was running Windows or another proprietary OS or browser
32 on their desktop.
33
34 Well, a tinderbox is just an automated process for doing just that.
35 We don't require any dev to use a proprietary tinderbox before
36 committing. It is something that individual devs choose to use for
37 themselves, automating the testing workflow and possibly the
38 submission of bugs.
39
40 I think the key is something that was brought up earlier in the
41 thread: is this causing problems? If somebody is running some tool
42 against the repository and automatically filing bugs, and those bugs
43 are not useful/actionable and waste the time of volunteers, then that
44 is a problem. Proprietary tools do contribute to this since they can
45 generate results that are harder to reproduce, but if they are clear
46 and accurate and actionable it could still be a net-positive.
47
48 Of course if somebody wants to contribute to 100% FOSS tinderbox
49 efforts that would be even better. Perhaps if our 100% FOSS tinderbox
50 efforts addressed our needs very well, then nobody would want to
51 bother with the proprietary reports, or generating them. IMO it would
52 be better to create the FOSS solution before abandoning the
53 proprietary one. Doing otherwise is basically burning bridges - it
54 can be motivating in a sense but not really ideal. I'd love to have a
55 100% FOSS solution around all of this, but I appreciate what has been
56 created and can hardly criticize volunteers for failing to make it
57 happen, especially since I haven't contributed to that myself.
60 Rich