From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 07:22:55
1 On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I think the plan to split mailing lists serves as a way to insulate
5 >> developers from the effects of their decisions. Anyone with an
6 >> incongenial tone will have their voice bit revoked and their mail will
7 >> be dropped or rejected.
8 >
9 > And what would you do when somebody repeatedly sexually harasses other
10 > members of the community in private after being told to stop, and then
11 > acts as if they're the victim on the public mailing lists?
14 If you are going to allege misconduct you need to be prepared to prove it.
15
16 > Pretty much every organization I've ever been in would quietly show
17 > such a person the door unless the victim went public with the
18 > allegations. Most normal people wouldn't want to be a part of an
19 > organization that didn't do such a thing.
20 >
21 > Apparently though in Gentoo some prefer that the victims of harassment
22 > have no recourse if the harassment doesn't happen on the gentoo-dev
23 > mailing list in public.
24 >
25 > If you think some cabal is running the show just run for Council. If
26 > you win then you get the lucky job of trying to explain all this
27 > without disclosing the horrible things that some people do in private.
28 > Of course, lots of people won't believe you, since they profess to be
29 > innocent and the evidence can't be disclosed without bringing harm to
30 > a victim or creating the possibility of a defamation lawsuit.
33 Like in the thread about potential piracy issues with ebuilds, people
34 are being too cautious. For a defamation suit it would be necessary to
35 prove malicious intent, and then, only in the first circuit.
36
37 I'm still waiting for the notice that I can't use Gentoo to
38 manufacture weapons of mass destruction.
39
40 Respectfully,
41 R0b0t1