From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Shouldn't gcc-4.1-related bugs have some kind of priority as gcc-4.1 is now unmasked?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:45:50
1 On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 13:42 +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
2 > On 08/06/06, Matteo Azzali <matte.az@××××××.it> wrote:
3 > > Hum, maybe my little english is not good to explain my thoughts.....
4 > >
5 > > I already have a /usr/local/portage overlay bigger than 500Kb.
6 >
7 > I can beat that, try 23MB :-/
8 >
9 > Anyway, back to your point - yes, there are lots of bugs with patches
10 > attached that aren't being added to the main tree. And there are lots
11 > of bugs where the ebuild or fix is ending up in an overlay rather than
12 > the main tree. It's getting complicated to keep track - all I can
13 > really advise is that if you'd like to see fixes and ebuilds being
14 > added to the main tree, then become a developer and start doing it
15 > (although it is complex for something like gcc compile fixes which are
16 > spread across packages owned by multiple developers who will get upset
17 > if you touch their package).
18
19 Actually, this isn't exactly true. In the case of a compile fix, such
20 as this, the developer is aware of the issue, and gcc-porting@ is on the
21 bug, too, as CC, usually. If someone from gcc-porting were to go around
22 committing patches to my ebuilds, I know I wouldn't mind. It would
23 reduce my workload greatly, especially as they're the experts on what is
24 and isn't allowed in gcc 4.1, versus myself, who is a gcc 4.1
25 amateur. ;]
26
27 The truth is that there's tens of thousands of possible patch-providers
28 (users) and only ~300 people with commit rights. Even fewer when you
29 consider that the package in question may have a single maintainer, or
30 only a small team. Most of the packages that are blocking that bug are
31 games. We're working on them, but there's a small group of us and a
32 very large number of packages, many of which are very poorly coded and
33 require a lot of work and testing.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
38 x86 Architecture Team