From: Dane Smith <c1pher@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] signing with proxied maintainers
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 21:30:39
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 03/25/11 17:02, Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > once we move to git, the workflow for proxy maintainers is going to be
6 > a lot smoother. the question is how to handle signing with proxy
7 > maintainers.
8 >
9 > it would be nice if said proxied maintainers would sign things and
10 > that would be preserved all the way to the push to the common server.
11 > pros:
12 > - Gentoo dev doing the proxy can pull, look at the commits, and then push
13 > cons:
14 > - proxied maintainers need to set up pgp too
15 > - we need to have another list of keys to accept outside of the
16 > existing Gentoo dev list
17 > - easy to miss if commit was made through repoman, or on an older tree
18 >
19 > the other method would be that a Gentoo dev pulls the changesets and
20 > then runs `repoman commit` himself.
21 > pros:
22 > - proxied maintainers need not think of pgp at all
23 > - we only need the original Gentoo dev key list
24 > - the Gentoo dev knows immediately if there's a repoman problem
25 > cons:
26 > - workflow not as smooth
27 >
28 > i thinking about this last bit, i wonder if that could simply be
29 > addressed in repoman itself ? we could add a "repoman push" command
30 > that compared the remote branch to the local one to find out all the
31 > packages that have been updated, go into each one and rebuild just the
32 > Manifest, and then do the `git push`.
33 > -mike
36 - From my point of view, we should be using something close to the second
37 one regardless. Dev's should be checking the works of proxy committers
38 anyway, so running repoman should already be part of that workflow.
39
40 Secondly, I like that last idea. Except I'd amend that it should run
41 repoman full; warn if anything is wrong, then repoman manifest etc.
42
43 - --
44 Dane Smith (c1pher)
45 Gentoo Linux Developer -- QA / Crypto / Sunrise / x86
46 RSA Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x0C2E1531&op=index