From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:24:46
1 On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 15:51 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > On 3/23/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I see no problem with providing these sorts of overlays to
4 > > bridge the gap between contributing users and developers. I *do* see a
5 > > problem with simply allowing random overlays from any developer for
6 > > anything.
7 >
8 > That's a reasonable point, and it's an experience I've not personally
9 > been on the receiving end of.
10 >
11 > But the flip side is reasonable too. Our governing metastructure is
12 > explicitly clear that:
13 >
14 > a) Projects are not mandatory, and
15 > b) That competing projects are allowed
16 >
17 > I don't see how we can limit overlays to just packages "owned" by the
18 > developers who own the overlay without violating those two policies.
19
20 Think about it this way, what if we had two competing products in the
21 tree that do the same thing, with the same file names? We would add a
22 blocker, no? So what mechanism is there to ensure that there's no
23 "blocking" issues between an official in-tree project, and these
24 external overlays that are not in the tree? With the tree, we have a
25 well-defined policy on this. What policy would we use for the overlays?
28 Chris Gianelloni
29 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
30 x86 Architecture Team
31 Games - Developer