From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:34:16
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > So... short version, introduction of the profile allows for curious
3 > users to get bit in the ass by intentional dropping of compatibility
4 > (profile level changes are one thing, changing the ebuild standard is
5 > another). In light of that, why should it be demoed in the tree where
6 > the only use of it is to bootstrap a new installation? Just overlay
7 > it, y'all should be maintaining an overlay fixing ebuild incompatibilities
8 > anyways.
9
10 This I see as a non-argument. We imitate enough of Portage's
11 idiosyncracies to support every ebuild with which we've tested it, so
12 the ebuild format is for all intents and purposes the same. Sure, a few
13 internal variables have different names, but those are the ones that
14 ebuilds generally shouldn't be using, and if there is a legitimate case
15 where they are used, we emulate it. And it would have uses beyond
16 bootstrapping a new installation-- for example, say, running a system
17 exactly as any other profile is used.
18
19 > The gain of the profile is that you can do a few new tricks for folks
20 > doing boostrapping experiments- why not just introduce an ebuild that
21 > sets up the new profile in a temp overlay?
22
23 No, the gain is that one could sanely run a Paludis-based system without
24 needing an external overlay, and without having to update said overlay
25 whenever the base profiles in the tree change.
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list