From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:27:10
1 On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 04:15:49PM +0100, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > If noone has any strong reasonable objections, I'd like to add a
3 > Paludis profile to the tree. This would use Paludis as the default
4 > provider for virtual/portage (which is a less than ideal name, but that
5 > is another discussion entirely), and provide ebuild devs with a place
6 > where they can try out some of our profile enhancements should they
7 > want to. It is worth noting on the last point that most of these are
8
9 > Comments?
10
11 Maybe I'm daft, but why does this need to be demoed in the live tree?
12 Use an overlay (y'all have one already anyways). Reasons why this is
13 a bit daft-
14
15 1) changes to the eapi=0 ebuild standard; renaming of vars
16 (PORTAGE_* -> PALUDIS_* namely), dropping of all local vars during
17 phase changes (since y'all lack ebuild, it'll rear it's head mainly
18 during unmerge), effective dropping of config phase (another place
19 it would rear it's head)... Mind you that's from a quick read through
20 of your ebuild env reimplementation, stated the issues already and
21 they still remain- incomplete support for the standard is one thing,
22 changing it is another (y'all are doing the latter).
23
24 2) N profile inheritance- the parents change (N entries instead of
25 one) needs to be protected so that specific profile is only usable by
26 a package manager (whether portage, pkgcore or paludis) that actually
27 does N parent inheritance. This is why N profile inheritance has
28 never been added to portage (it's honestly a one line change in
29 portage)- the change must not be introduced without protection,
30 else the user's system set can become drastically reduced. It's not
31 an easily addressable problem (all solutions sans a new profile
32 directory leave open the potential for users to get bit), ignoring it
33 is a no go. Yes, you're after demoing capabilities- problem is that
34 it's exposing potential horkage in a production tree, wrong place to
35 be demoing.
36
37 3) vdb CONTENTS change of dev/fif to misc. It's dumb, but that change
38 renders vdb entries incompatible- iow, proper usage/conversion to
39 paludis requires a new installation (or translation script, both
40 to/from portage).
41
42 So... short version, introduction of the profile allows for curious
43 users to get bit in the ass by intentional dropping of compatibility
44 (profile level changes are one thing, changing the ebuild standard is
45 another). In light of that, why should it be demoed in the tree where
46 the only use of it is to bootstrap a new installation? Just overlay
47 it, y'all should be maintaining an overlay fixing ebuild incompatibilities
48 anyways.
49
50 > That's my proposal. The benefits I like to think are obvious. The
51 > drawbacks are, as far as I can see, in tree size, which should be
52 > minimal.
53
54 Benefits of demo'ing for a minority (300 devs) must be balanced
55 against risk (adding profiles that portage can eat itself on, the
56 default virtual change doesn't address it, eapi incompatibility, vdb
57 changes )- wrong place to be deploying incompatibilites that paludis
58 introduces is into the production tree without appropriate
59 containment/protection.
60
61 The gain of the profile is that you can do a few new tricks for folks
62 doing boostrapping experiments- why not just introduce an ebuild that
63 sets up the new profile in a temp overlay?
64
65 Still have the sandbox for experimenting/demoing, but it minimizes the
66 potential borkage folks can hit by doing stupid things.
67
68 ~harring