From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:03:59
1 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> said:
2 > So... short version, introduction of the profile allows for curious
3 > users to get bit in the ass by intentional dropping of compatibility
4 > (profile level changes are one thing, changing the ebuild standard is
5 > another). In light of that, why should it be demoed in the tree where
6 > the only use of it is to bootstrap a new installation? Just overlay
7 > it, y'all should be maintaining an overlay fixing ebuild incompatibilities
8 > anyways.
9
10 Just my two cents,
11
12 I completely agree. There are going to be lots of things that Paludis
13 supports that Portage doesn't, and maybe pkgcore doesn't either, so it
14 seems to make the most sense to keep it separate. I don't think we
15 should start making changes to the tree for another package manager,
16 pkgcore or paludis.
17
18 No offense to either project. If one of them one day replaces Portage,
19 it will have my complete support, but until then, we should focus on
20 keeping changes in the tree to a minimum for other package managers.
23 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
24 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
25 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
26 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
27 http://www.halcy0n.com