From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 16:52:45
1 On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:16:18 -0700 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 | 1) changes to the eapi=0 ebuild standard; renaming of vars
4 | (PORTAGE_* -> PALUDIS_* namely)
5
6 What eapi=0 standard? We emulate Portage internals where it's found to
7 be necessary, and don't otherwise.
8
9 | dropping of all local vars during phase changes
10
11 Again, we emulate Portage misfeatures only where it's found to be
12 necessary.
13
14 | effective dropping of config phase
15
16 Uh, no. Config's on the 0.4 list. We're just prioritising things that
17 we actually need.
18
19 | Mind you that's from a quick read through
20 | of your ebuild env reimplementation, stated the issues already and
21 | they still remain- incomplete support for the standard is one thing,
22 | changing it is another (y'all are doing the latter).
23
24 What standard? Are you trying to say that Paludis should emulate
25 Portage's bugs, because the standard is "exactly what Portage does"?
26
27 | 2) N profile inheritance- the parents change (N entries instead of
28 | one) needs to be protected so that specific profile is only usable by
29 | a package manager (whether portage, pkgcore or paludis) that actually
30 | does N parent inheritance. This is why N profile inheritance has
31 | never been added to portage (it's honestly a one line change in
32 | portage)- the change must not be introduced without protection,
33 | else the user's system set can become drastically reduced. It's not
34 | an easily addressable problem (all solutions sans a new profile
35 | directory leave open the potential for users to get bit), ignoring it
36 | is a no go.
37
38 Uh, no. Any user who isn't using a package manager capable of multiple
39 inherits shouldn't use a multiple inherits profile. There's plenty of
40 precedent of intro
41
42 | Yes, you're after demoing capabilities- problem is that
43 | it's exposing potential horkage in a production tree, wrong place to
44 | be demoing.
45
46 Heh. "potential horkage". Yes, if a user sets their profile
47 incorrectly, things break. That's the case currently too.
48
49 | 3) vdb CONTENTS change of dev/fif to misc. It's dumb, but that
50 | change renders vdb entries incompatible- iow, proper usage/conversion
51 | to paludis requires a new installation (or translation script, both
52 | to/from portage).
53
54 Had you bothered to read the documentation, you'd know that we don't
55 claim nor desire VDB compatibility with Portage, and don't encourage
56 installs onto the same ROOT.
57
58 We also don't emulate Portage's broken handling of merging directories
59 onto symlinks, which means that uninstalling via emerge sometimes
60 leaves behind cruft.
61
62 | So... short version, introduction of the profile allows for curious
63 | users to get bit in the ass by intentional dropping of compatibility
64 | (profile level changes are one thing, changing the ebuild standard is
65 | another). In light of that, why should it be demoed in the tree
66 | where the only use of it is to bootstrap a new installation? Just
67 | overlay it, y'all should be maintaining an overlay fixing ebuild
68 | incompatibilities anyways.
69
70 Because Paludis is now a viable alternative to Portage and can be used
71 to install and maintain a real system. We already support enough of the
72 "ebuild standard" and emulate enough of Portage's bugs to install
73 system + X + KDE + Gnome + a whole load of random stuff that people
74 actually use.
75
76 | > That's my proposal. The benefits I like to think are obvious. The
77 | > drawbacks are, as far as I can see, in tree size, which should be
78 | > minimal.
79 |
80 | Benefits of demo'ing for a minority (300 devs) must be balanced
81 | against risk (adding profiles that portage can eat itself on, the
82 | default virtual change doesn't address it
83
84 Uh, a user changing to any incorrect profile will screw up their
85 system. Ever tried using an amd64 profile on x86?
86
87 | eapi incompatibility
88
89 You mean "not emulating some of Portage's sillier bugs that very few
90 things rely upon anyway", right?
91
92 | vdb changes )- wrong place to be deploying incompatibilites that paludis
93 | introduces is into the production tree without appropriate
94 | containment/protection.
95
96 Uh, VDB isn't part of the tree. Nor does it introduce any breakages for
97 existing users, except those who do something especially dumb. Even if
98 a user *does* change their profile to a Paludis profile, it won't cause
99 Portage to explode in such a way that switching profiles back won't fix
100 it.
101
102 | The gain of the profile is that you can do a few new tricks for folks
103 | doing boostrapping experiments- why not just introduce an ebuild that
104 | sets up the new profile in a temp overlay?
105
106 No, the gain of the profile is that it prepares the way for people to
107 move onto a package manager that doesn't suck.
108
109 Now, if you were to object to, say, -scm versions in the main tree,
110 whose very existence causes Portage to crap itself messily and die, you
111 might have a point. But adding a profile only screws things up for
112 users who manually switch to it, and it only screws them up temporarily
113 and fairly cleanly.
116 Ciaran McCreesh
117 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
121 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list