From: Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 02:46:49
1 On 2014-09-14 21:57, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > I generate metadata for the perl-experimental overlay periodically as a
3 > snapshotted variation of the same, and the performance isn't so bad.
4
5 Overlays with few eclasses are much different than the main tree.
6 Anyway, egencache isn't bad it's just significantly slower than
7 alternatives so it could be sped up quite a lot if necessary.
8
9 > However, what I suspect you *could* do with a push hook is regen metadata
10 > for only things that were modified in that commit, because I believe
11 > there's a way to regen metadata for only specific files now.
12
13 > ie:
14 > modifications to cat/PN *would* trigger a metadata update, but only for
15 > that cat/PN
16 > modifications to eclass/* would *NOT* trigger a metadata update as part of
17 > the push.
18
19 > And doing tree-wide "an eclass was changed" updates could be done with
20 > lower priority in an asynchronous cron job or something so as not to block
21 > workflow for several minutes/hours/whatever while some muppet sits there
22 > watching "git push" do nothing.
23
24 If we need to do piecewise regen it seems we would be better off just
25 sticking with the current scheduled cron job approach. Otherwise it
26 sounds like one could pull updates without having the correct metadata
27 for a significant portion of the tree.
28
29 Tim