From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] My masterplan for git migration (+ looking for infra to test it)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 01:57:07
1 On 15 September 2014 13:30, Tim Harder <radhermit@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > I haven't run portage metadata regen on a beefy machine lately, but I
4 > don't think it could keep up in all cases. Perhaps someone can prove me
5 > wrong.
6 >
7 > Anyway, things could definitely be sped up if portage merges a few speed
8 > tweaks used in pkgcore. Specifically, I think using some of the weakref
9 > and perhaps jitted attrs support along with the eclass caching hacks
10 > would give a 2-4x metadata regen speedup. Otherwise pkgcore could
11 > potentially be used to regen metadata as well or some other tuned regen
12 > tool.
16 I generate metadata for the perl-experimental overlay periodically as a
17 snapshotted variation of the same, and the performance isn't so bad.
18
19 However, what I suspect you *could* do with a push hook is regen metadata
20 for only things that were modified in that commit, because I believe
21 there's a way to regen metadata for only specific files now.
22
23 ie:
24 modifications to cat/PN *would* trigger a metadata update, but only for
25 that cat/PN
26 modifications to eclass/* would *NOT* trigger a metadata update as part of
27 the push.
28
29 And doing tree-wide "an eclass was changed" updates could be done with
30 lower priority in an asynchronous cron job or something so as not to block
31 workflow for several minutes/hours/whatever while some muppet sits there
32 watching "git push" do nothing.
35 Kent
36
37 *KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL